The Stone City Art Colony and School 1932-1933
John Sharp

Home - The Project - The Colony - The Artists - Resources - Credits

John O.R. Sharp (1911-1966) -- student

Born in Galesburg, Illinois, John Sharp, with his parents, soon settled in Eldon, Iowa, where their family home was built within a block of the local library. Known locally for his art talents, John graduated from high school in May 1928 and then enrolled at the University of Iowa, completing roughly eighteen months of studies towards a liberal arts degree (1928-1930). While a college student and visiting Cedar Rapids' Little Gallery, Sharp met both Grant Wood and Edward Rowan, the museum's director who had recently rented a summer property in Eldon. Rowan, inspired by the small community, began to organize an extension of the museum's offerings, showcasing both regional and local artists.

As the summer studio preparations continued, Sharp's parents agreed to serve among the local hosts for the event named the "Eldon Art Center," scheduled for August 1930. Rowan's plans called for renting a local building, offering rotating exhibits, providing art classes to young people, then concluding with music and art appreciation courses. Funding for the ambitious undertaking came from the American Federation of the Arts, the sponsoring body for the Little Gallery. Grant Wood, eager to assist the Eldon efforts, offered his talents and requested a local tour of the community. The young man who volunteered, John Sharp, made his mark in American art history with that decision, for it was Sharp who showed Wood (on a car ride) the iconic house, located in Eldon, that became the background for the masterpiece, American Gothic (1930).

The satellite art center opened Sunday, August 3, 1930 and was, by all accounts, a success. Rowan later selected Sharp as one of four Iowa men to study, all expenses paid, with a noted watercolor painter at the Davenport Municipal Art Gallery (1931). Sharp maintained his friendship with Wood, was accepted to study at the Stone City art colony (1932), and soon determined that he wanted to pursue studies on the east coast. An area benefactor, Carol M. Sax of Ottumwa (Iowa), paid John's tuition to the Art Students League of New York (NYC). Sharp was also enrolled at the National Academy of Design (NYC) and the Greenwich Pottery School (NYC), exploring painting and ceramics. While a student (1932-1934), Sharp met his lifelong companion, the artist Paul Crosthwaite. In 1935, the pair relocated to New Hope, Pennsylvania, where they became immediately involved with local art and theater efforts, including the founding of the Bucks County Playhouse (1939). Their home served as a center for the arts, and both men operated personal studios on the property.

Ever mindful of his Iowa beginnings, Sharp was awarded the WPA mural commission for the Bloomfield, Iowa post office. Installed in December 1939 and known as "Autumn in Iowa," the panels depicted a fall, farm scene. A second WPA mural project, placed in the Rockwell City (IA) post office, "Summer" (or "Imaginary Farm") features a family gathering berries and watering geese as part of their seasonal chores; Sharp completed the commission in December 1940. His last, Fine Arts Section assignment was "Hunters," a mural for the Hawarden, Iowa post office; the work's installation occurred in May 1942. Soon thereafter, Sharp began a series of appearances in major exhibitions at the Corcoran Gallery of Art (1949, 1951), the National Academy of Design (1949), and had several one-man exhibitions, including shows at the Milch Galleries (NYC, 1952) and the Woodmere Art Gallery (Philadelphia, 1953). He exhibited at the Iowa Art Salon, the Little Gallery (Cedar Rapids, IA), the Corcoran Museum of Art (Washington, D.C.), and the Detroit Museum (MI). In New York City, his works were displayed at Radio City, the New York City Galleries, the Municipal Art Galleries, and Studio Guild Galleries.

After 1945, Sharp and Crosthwaite purchased additional properties in Palm Beach, Florida, and on the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts. In both locations, the men maintained studios and continued to teach art. The two master painters frequently visited Bucks County, but by 1955, primarily lived in Florida, spending their summers on the east coast. While living in Palm Beach, Sharp died in November 1966. Retrospectives of his career later occurred in several states, including Pennsylvania, New York, Missouri, and Iowa.


Online Resources on John Sharp:

American Gothic House Center, Eldon, Iowa. ""American Gothic House Center: History." Available: http://www.wapellocounty.org/americangothic/index.htm

James A. Michener Art Museum. ""John Sharp." From the Bucks County Artists Database. Available: http://www.michenermuseum.org/bucksartists/artist.php?artist=243&page=972

Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM). ""Have a Question: John Sharp." Available: http://americanart.si.edu/search/artist_bio.cfm?StartRow=1&ID=4393&skip=1&CFID=13694747&CFTOKEN=8f2f1f9ee34945f5-71150E9C-F908-7A7B-E5B0FC5922D8FB5B


"Thompson-Neely Barn, Crossing Washington Park." Submitted to the National Academy of Design, 125th Anniversary Exhibition (1950). Image courtesy of the Eldon Public Library, Board of Trustees, Eldon, Iowa.

"E.C.W. Camp Mess Hall." Image courtesy of the Eldon Public Library, Board of Trustees, Eldon, Iowa.

"Recreation Hall, Camp 46 E.C.W." Image courtesy of the Eldon Public Library, Board of Trustees, Eldon, Iowa.

"East Orange Street." Presented to Eldon Public Library (1962). Image courtesy of the Eldon Public Library, Board of Trustees, Eldon, Iowa.

"Sam and Dave." Image courtesy of the Eldon Public Library, Board of Trustees, Eldon, Iowa.

Sharp's 1928 high school commencement photo. Image courtesy of the McHaffey Opera House, Eldon, Iowa.

Photograph of John Sharp. Image courtesy of the James A. Michener Art Museum library, Doylestown, Pennsylvania.



When Tillage Begins: The Stone City Art Colony and School
Published online October 2003 by the
Busse Library,
Mount Mercy University
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Telephone: 319-368-6465
Fax: 319-363-9060
Email: library@mtmercy.edu

Researcher & Author: Kristy Raine
Library Director: Marilyn Murphy
Editor & Web Designer: Linda Scarth
©Busse Library 2003-2017