|The Stone City Art Colony and School 1932-1933
Lucy M. Anderson
Lucy M. Anderson (1881-1975) - student
A founding member of the Fort Dodge Artists Guild, Lucy Maris Lane was raised in Waterloo, Iowa and graduated from its local public schools (1898-99). After marrying Louis Anderson at age nineteen, she left Waterloo and lived in various cities (Omaha, South St. Joseph [MO], and Great Falls [MT]) before returning to Iowa and permanently settling in Fort Dodge (1925). An avid supporter of her city's art community, Lucy was instrumental in organizing the Blanden Federation of Art, now known as the Blanden Memorial Art Museum.
Lucy's training as a painter and muralist began with the 1932 session of the Stone City art colony. There, she became acutely aware of her need for more training. Two years of correspondence study under Anson Cross, a Columbia University professor who later began an art school in Boothbay Harbor, Maine (1931), formed her first studies. Summer classes at the Colorado Springs Fine Art Center under Paul Burlin completed her preparation in oil painting.
Anderson exhibited frequently at the Iowa Art Salon, Iowa State Fair (1930-1935), winning honorable mentions for "Sunny Barnyard" (1934) and "Capping the Sheaves" (1935). "Men at Work," an oil portrait, won third place honors in the salon's 1937 competition. Additional showings included Iowa Federation of Women's Clubs exhibits (1932-38) and a seven-year series of showings at the Great Hall, Iowa State College (ISU). Anderson's paintings also appeared in Joslyn Art Museum exhibitions including the Third Annual Nebraska-Iowa Show (1933) and the Five States Exhibit (1934). Several of her works were shown at Anson Cross Alumni Association gatherings in Boothbay Harbor (1935) and at the forty-first annual art show in Denver, Colorado (1935).
In Fort Dodge, Anderson organized local artist exhibitions (1929-1970) and provided the initial action to begin a city art museum and the art guild (1930). An active member for the Iowa Federation of Women's Clubs, Anderson served as district chairman of art and as state chairman (1939-1941). A hospital volunteer, Lucy began her patient rehabilitation program employing art therapy and was a member of the Visiting Nurses Association of Fort Dodge.
During her lifetime, Anderson produced over 1,000 paintings, frequently presenting oil works at local art guild events. The Blanden Art Museum produced two one-man shows of her works (1951, 1964). The first exhibit, "The South Through Northern Eyes," was based upon sketchbook images of her travels in southeastern states, especially the Great Smoky Mountains area. Actively producing in her later years, Anderson won red ribbons at the 1974 Fort Dodge Art Guild Show for her image "Mighty Oaks." Lucy remained in Fort Dodge, where she died in 1975.
The following images are provided by Deron & Lisa Richens, Laguna Hills, CA.
"January Sunshine," 1939. Oil painting. Exhibited at the Denver Art Museum Show in 1939/1940.
Tag from exhibition submission.
Signature on the painting "January Sunshine."
Untitled, 1941 painting. Image courtesy of Brett Feasel, Des Moines, Iowa.
Lucy M. Anderson - From the large group photo of The 1932 Stone City Art Colony and School found on the Artists: 1932 page.
When Tillage Begins: The Stone City Art Colony and School
Researcher & Author: Kristy Raine